Tuesday, March 24, 2009

amigurumi craft series #3: turning

I've been making amigurumi for a while, but I've only recently started turning them inside-out; I think it's mostly a matter of choice. What do I mean when I say turning them inside-out? Here you go!
When you crochet in the round (as you do when you are making amigurumi parts), there is a significant difference between the way the stitches look on the outside, and the inside. I usually leave it as-is and stuff and sew the pieces together. However, I think many people like to turn those pieces inside-out; it makes a difference in appearance! On the outside, the stitches are more rectangular, but when turned inside-out, they appear rounder and fuller. In terms of aesthetics, turning them inside out means that your amigurumi's stuffing is less visible, such that the very same amount of stuffing in an item will show LESS in an item that is turned inside-out than in an item that is just stuffed right after you finish crocheting.

14 comments:

  1. kudos for blogging about this, i think it will be helpful. ive noticed decreases dont show that bad when you turn it inside out, maybe that's just me tho? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered this not to long ago after looking extremely close at Ana Paula's work. I felt like I was doing it wrong up until that point! It is very good you posted about this for other amigurumi makers. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on making my first amigurumi tonight actually and I did turn it inside out... but I realized I have to turn it before I finish the last few rounds, or the hole gets too tight. What do you do about that? I'm not sure how to get the last round into it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya Emaleth! You do have to turn it before the hole gets too small, but most patterns allow for this and end before the actual amigurumi is closed. Once you turn it (and you stuff it) you can keep decreasing your stitches to close it up. Or, other people will use a yarn needle and sew it up the ami with yarn, instead of crocheting it closed. Hope this helps, and good luck with your first ami!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only been making ami's for a few months now but started turning them inside out after looking at my work and noticing that I like the way the inside looks better....I LOVE your blog btw! I am off to snoop some more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turning it inside out gives it such a finished look :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. well the reason why it looks better inside-out in your case is because that how it should be so practicality this whole time you have had them the wrong way....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, that's what happens when you teach yourself crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. but dont get me wrong I still love your crocheting :) it's still really cute

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me that "inside-out" has always been the right side. And yes, I'm also a self-taught crocheter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I have to agree with anonymous, your wrong side has always been the right side for me too. I learnt from youtube and Ana Paulas books. :) I just found this because I was looking up about amigurumi with yarn such as mohair, anyone tried this? I have once, and found the fluffyness seemed to all be on the inside, so it would be better turned inside out before stuffing. :) But like you have originally said, its a matter of choice, and even the yarn used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, well that's where you guys one-upped me; I didn't use any books or videos at all... I just tried it and tried it until I learned how to do it! It wasn't until a year after I started selling what I made that I started turning them "right side" out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...