Friday, April 10, 2009

Yeah! Washington DC here I come!

Yayyyyy! I've been accepted to the Smithsonian Summer Institute thing I told you guys about earlier! I think they picked like 12-16 graduate students from around the country, and I am one of them! It means all kinds of neat-o things; I'll get to go to the Smithsonian and take classes from their ethnologists and curators in museum anthropology, look at all of their collections and get hands on interaction with artifacts and data..... I'm drooling already (and I'm such a nerd!). The only thing is, I am almost 100% positive that during this time I won't be able to do berrysprite stuff, so my shop will most likely end up being closed from June 29th to July 24 or so. I'm trying to see if I could keep it up while I'm away, but it doesn't look good; Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it! In the mean time, this summer institute is just one more reason why I want the school semester to be over!

I'll be going to Washington DC and living there for a month to do research, all expenses paid (with a weekly stipend, I might add!) I am going to do so many things... I can't wait to go to all the museums and historic places! And the shopping (have you seen that way cool Apple store that is like a glass cube?) I wonder what else there is to do? (Maybe you guys could suggest cool things if you live there/have visited!) Man, the euphoria from being accepted has yet to wear off...

Well as you can see, I've been quite busy imagining some of the super cool things I'll get to do in DC. My friend Tiny has decided to illustrate some of his hopes for the trip:

At the Museum of Natural History:
Tiny to Elephant: "Do they give you peanuts?"


Tiny: "What a beautiful day to visit the peanut bank!"


Tiny to President Obama: "I'm so glad you could meet with me Mr. President. Yes, I feel very relaxed too; but what about that peanut stimulus plan..."


President Obama: "World, I've decided to make Tiny my Peanut ambassador. Get ready for change!"
Tiny: "Huzzah!"


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! That is so fantastic! You lucky lucky girl! I hope you (and Tiny) have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Sounds very exciting- so happy for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like an amazing opportunity!

    i thoroughly enjoyed the pictures :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures. Tiny should totally be in on the adventure for real!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome opportunity! Congratulations!

    I love the pic of sweet little Tiny on the President's shoulder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aloha Holly!

    You must look at the Etsy front page this minute (it's 9:35 am)! Your sweet Paddington is featured! I'm so thrilled for you!

    Hugs,
    Rima

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Holly !! Sounds so exciting I hope you have a geeat time : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy for you Holly! I know you and Tiny will have a terrific time in DC! Peanuts rule!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...