Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What is that?!

One of my friends is learning how to crochet and she's getting a bit frustrated... I can remember the feeling! Over the years I've had a lot of people lately complimenting me on my crocheting/ berrysprite skills (thanks so much!), but I've also had a lot of people asking for help and guidance, which I try to give as much as I can. The thing is, it's one thing to have someone else tell you that you're doing a great job and to keep working through the difficulties of crocheting and another to actually be trying; and rectifying the two can be frustratingly slow. So I thought that I'd share some pictures of my first amigurumi to give everyone who's trying to learn but getting really bogged down and depressed a bit of perspective.... and ultimately to show that absolutely no one starts off making perfect amigurumi to begin with!

I know right? You're first question is... what is that?! This was my very very first amigurumi... I was trying to make a mushroom! As you can see, I don't even have the stitches right (I didn't properly learn how to make a sc [single crochet stitch] until like a year AFTER I started selling on etsy... no joke!) and my tension is all off. I think my sister's words in describing this mushroom were "It looks like a dorky lollipop" (she is now the proud owner of said dorky lollipop).

Here is my very first fruit amigurumi (with my same demented stitches)... you can see that you even need to learn how to decorate your amigurumi!!!

So, with all of that my only bit of advice for now is to keep going... maybe watch an instructional video or two...its really great that now-a-days there are TONS of how to videos on crocheting on youtube and various other places, and those can help you a lot (because there's nothing like seeing someone actually making the stitches for you to know exactly how you're supposed to hold the needle, where the yarn is supposed to go, etc. (P.S. I hope to be posting some videos and more crocheting tutorials in the future, just give me time guys and I promise one day they will be yours!) The main thing to remember is: when you get frustrated and think that no one will want your amigurumi, or that they're ugly, or whatever it is you're thinking, just remember that you always have to start somewhere, and that with patience and time (and of course hard work) you can do almost anything!

My mushrooms now!!! You can do it guys, just keep at it!

6 comments:

  1. I thought it was a rattle >_<

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE your cute little mushrooms now!!!

    I'm a proud owner of the Holly mushroom!

    hugs, Rebecca :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the positive vibe of this post, I've been wanting to learn how to crochet for months now I should just get on and give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Berrysprite. I thought it was very inspiring and encouraging! A lot of people who start crocheting amigurumi get frustrated at first, I did too! And I think everyone goes through the innovative and/or quality blues so I am glad you wrote about that too with uplifting words. I am totally going to share your post on my blog. Thanks for writing it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pero que lindo....Feliz fin de semana.Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first one could be a baby rattle. And the second reminds me of my first attempt at amigurumi, except mines a wonky strawberry. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me feel much better, because I was planning on starting, and this will keep me going when my first one turns out not so good. Thanks for the inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...