Saturday, May 31, 2008


Aaaaah! I took the plunge; I sprung a serious load of cash for a blythe doll. I didn't like them at first, because I thought they were kinda scary (there is that Twilight Zone episode with "Talking Tina" who kills people.) But the more I researched, the more intrigued I became. I am excited that I will be able to customize her with eyechips, wigs, etc. There's a really great website called puchicollective: it has all kinds of tutorials for all the different types of blythes, which, apparantly, there are a lot of. Here is the one coming to my mailbox from ebay- Primadolly Encore Ashlette. She was a little more expensive than the ones I wanted (on ebay the Ashton Drake bythes are much cheaper) but not as expensive as the ones I really wanted because their hair colours were so pretty (the new Can can cat, Natasha Moore or Enchanted Water Petal)!


Anyway, I figured I would have a blast making dresses, crochet hats, and amigurumi/nuigurumi animals for her and for my etsy; I'm thinking my other etsy shop happyapplet will become a supply and blythe shop.


I spent a bunch of time thinking about buying a blythe, so I thought it might be helpful if I put up some of my research finding in case any of you wanted to do a little sleuthing of your own.


Thisisblythe is the official website for blythe dolls, and they have a really great forum where you can discuss or adopt a blythe. They also sell wigs, eyechips, clothes etc to go with your blythe, although I found their dolls more expensive than elsewhere.


Speaking of more expensive, ebay generally had lower prices than anywhere else, with a wider variety of blythes to choose from. You can go the high-end route and get an original kenner doll ($1000 and up, seriously!) or you can go the low-end route and spring for an Ashton Drake blythe ($70 and up). The only thing is the Ashton Drake dolls are less desirable because they are slightly different; the face mold is more like the original kenner doll, but the skin color has a greenish or yellowish tinge to it which blythe purists don't like. The Ashton Drake dolls are made in America by Hasbro and the Neo Blythe (manufactured after blythe became popular again) are made by Takara in Japan. However, all of the blythes generally fit each others things (like wigs and eye chips) so it really is just a matter of preference.


And of course, there is a wealth of info on flickr! There are some groups for adopting blythes, but these are typically already customized and kinda expensive. Custom blythe is a group that showcases, you guessed it, customized blythe dolls! Blythe Blythe Blythe also seems to be the largest go-to group.

I will most likely want to change her eyechips in the future, so I'm told cool cat on ebay is really good. Also, I want to get some wigs because I will be using only one blythe for all my photos, so shopoholican looks good!

If you guys know of any others great blythe sites, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! She's beautiful :) You will have so much fun making clothing and accessories for your new Ashlette. I can't wait to see them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new Blythe doll and welcome to the crazy Blythe world! I know you will enjoy it as much as I do. Blythe is such a great muse!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...